Officers from the Indiana State Police, Steuben County Sheriff’s Department and Angola Police Department were injured following a fire at a rural Angola residence Thursday morning.
The fire happened at a residence in the area of 4275 W 100 N in rural Angola. The departments responded to the fire along with the Angola Fire Department. When crews arrived, they learned a three-year-old boy was inside the residence.
The troopers, along with a deputy and Angola officer attempted to enter the residence. However, due to the level of fire, heat and smoke, the officers were not able to locate the boy.
The boy was found alive and unconscious in another part of the house by the Angola Fire Department in another part of the house about 20 minutes after crews arrived. He was transported to a Fort Wayne hospital.
The Toll Road Trooper was treated at Cameron Hospital in Angola for smoke inhalation and was released at just after 6:00 a.m. The Angola Officer was also treated and released from Cameron for smoke inhalation and laceration to his hand. The Deputy was initially taken to Cameron, but was then transferred to a Fort Wayne hospital for smoke inhalation.
As of the time of this report, the fire is under investigation by the Indiana State Police, the Angola Fire Department and the State Fire Marshal’s Office.