FORT WAYNE, Ind. (Fort Wayne’s NBC) – Nestlé USA will reduce its staffing at a Fort Wayne facility by 40 positions — not the 69 positions reported to the State recently — and will maintain both a manufacturing and distribution presence locally.
A spokesperson for the company on Wednesday evening provided the following statement to ABC21:
The WARN notice you saw was inaccurate. To clarify, the Nestlé ice cream factory in Fort Wayne is NOT closing, nor is the distribution center that is at the same site. The headcount at the distribution center will be reduced by 40 employees.
A WARN notice is required of businesses with more than 100 employees when a significant layoff is planned. The notice, dated Aug. 16 and filed on Aug. 19, informed the Department of Workforce Development of a permanent closure of the warehouse and distribution operation in Fort Wayne and a loss of 69 positions by the end of the year.
The spokesperson says the notice conveyed information from earlier in the year, when Nestlé USA announced broader plans for simplifying its route-to-market pizza and ice cream operations.
“Ice cream and pizza are growing categories in which we hold strong leadership positions” said Steve Presley, Chairman and CEO of Nestlé USA, at the time of the initial anouncement. “As we continue to focus on driving long-term profitable growth, leveraging a simpler route to market unlocks resources we can use to fuel our efforts in demand generation, such as product innovation and brand building.”
The staffing reductions that are taking place locally do not involve production workers.