Skip to Content

Good Samaritan alerts family in burning home; family members credit man for saving their lives

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WPTA21) - A family member said a good Samaritan alerted her family as she and her family were asleep inside a burning home. She credits the man for saving her family.

House Fire on Spring Street

HOUSE FIRE: a duplex caught fire on Thursday night. This happened in the 1900 block of Spring Street in Fort Wayne. A woman said she and her family were sleeping inside the house last night. She said a good Samaritan drove by and saw smoke coming out of the house, stopped and banged on the front door to get everyone outside. She credits the man for saving her family's life. Two cats living upstairs died. Hear from two residents about the incident.Loved ones created two GoFundme pages to help both families. If you'd like to help, please click on the links below:Tonya Irving:https://www.gofundme.com/f/yjk594-house-fire?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_campaign=p_cf+share-flow-1Alexis Shuler:https://www.gofundme.com/f/m4ykg-hope-after-house-fire?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheetTune in at 5pm and 6pm as I'll share the full story.

Posted by Louie Tran - Fort Wayne's NBC on Friday, 13 December 2019

On Thursday night, a duplex caught fire. This happened in the 1900 block of Spring Street in Fort Wayne.

A woman told ABC21 that she and her family were sleeping inside the house. She said another woman who was also a resident was away at the time. She said a good Samaritan drove by and saw smoke coming out of the house. She said he rushed to the house and banged on the front door. She said because of that man, she and her family are alive.

"To our family he was an angel," said Tonya Irving, a resident of the house. "What a blessing. We're alive and it's because of him."

Two cats living upstairs in the duplex didn't make it out.

"I just saw her (cats) two hours before, and I kissed her goodbye, and I thought I was going to see her again," said Alexis Shuler, a resident of the house.

The two women said both families lost almost all of their belongings. Both families are now searching for a new home.

"I lost my dad earlier this year, and some of his stuff was inside, and his pictures," said Shuler.

"It's Christmas time," Irving said. We're working what we can. We live paycheck to paycheck. My biggest thing is where am I going to wake up tomorrow?"

Loved ones created two GoFundme pages to help both families. If you'd like to help, please click on the links below:

Tonya Irving: https://www.gofundme.com/f/yjk594-house-fire?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_campaign=p_cf+share-flow-1&fbclid=IwAR2-FeD1a3z_GYGb95CXZGQfBAGoYitcsTmu4DgZcR3W1P-muVp4YtvXEUY

Alexis Shuler: https://www.gofundme.com/f/m4ykg-hope-after-house-fire?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet&fbclid=IwAR0r1zqL-oWq1LcpaO7YSHPmGeEuUaaHGudroDN5HqZTfRf5nKwbStZJxz4

As for the man who came to the rescue, both families do not know where he is.

Louie Tran

Louie Tran is a multimedia journalist for WPTA.

Skip to content