Skip to Content

Melton cancels run for governor

Eddie Melton

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WPTA21) - A Gary Democrat who had launched a campaign to challenge incumbent Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb in 2020 has withdrawn from the race.

In a statement released Monday, State Sen. Eddie Melton said he will instead file for re-election in his current office.

"Over the past six months, I have had the privilege of traveling our state and engaging with thousands of Hoosiers, hearing their concerns about educational funding, economic mobility, draconian laws oppressing women’s ability to make their own health care decisions, and failure to honor our Veterans' sacrifices," he said. "The ability to engage my fellow citizens in frank conversations has been a true privilege and honor. 

"But, unfortunately politics today require way too much of a candidate’s time being spent on the phone chasing dollars.  "

Melton said he will seek another term in the Statehouse "with renewed commitment" to the role of State Senator.

Melton had launched his gubernatorial campaign in the fall and had been lining up support from traditionally Democratic organizations, such as the Indiana chapter of the American Federation of Teachers.

Other Democrats in the race include former Indiana Health Commissioner Woody Myers and businessman Josh Owens.

Holcomb, a first-term Republican, took office when his predecessor, Gov. Mike Pence, assumed the vice-presidency. He is heavily favored, but could receive at least one challenge in the GOP primary in May.

Jonathan Shelley

Jonathan Shelley is the news director at WPTA TV, which he joined in 2016 following nine years in a similar role in New Orleans and previous news management positions in Oklahoma City and Las Vegas.

Skip to content