FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WPTA21) -- An investigation is underway at Fort Wayne's Deep Rock Tunnel project site after a reported injury earlier this month.
According to Indiana Occupational Safety and Health Administration (IOSHA), the contractor, Salini Impregilo/Lane Construction, reported an "incident involving hospitalization" on April 17. However, IOSHA could not confirm any further details.
A spokesperson for IOSHA told ABC21's Digging Deeper team that investigators are currently looking into the circumstances surrounding what caused the injury. The spokesperson said investigations typically take 60-90 days to complete, but can take as long as 180 days.
At this time, ABC21's Digging Deeper team is working to confirm the severity of the worker's injuries. We reached out to Lane Construction for more details but we are still waiting on a response.
The Deep Rock Tunnel project is the largest public works project in the history of Fort Wayne. City officials say the tunnel will reduce the amount of sewage overflow into the surrounding rivers.
Officials expect the tunnel to be operational in 2023.