FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WPTA21) - Just hours after the city announced that playgrounds and splash pads would open ahead of the holiday weekend, Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb issued updated guidance on how the state will move forward in "Stage 3."
Before the state issued this updated guidance, the Fort Wayne Parks Department said it was opening area city playgrounds Friday.
However, due to updated state guidance, both playgrounds and city splash pads will remain closed.
In the previous edition of his "Stage 3" plans, playgrounds and similar facilities were slated to open.
However, Gov. Holcomb and his staff have changed course.
Gov. Holcomb said his staff will be determining exactly when playgrounds will be allowed to open based on guidance from the CDC and coronavirus data.
Here's the updated list of facilities opening on Friday, May 22:
- Johnny Appleseed Campground (opening Sunday, May 24)
- Lawton Skate Park
- Hurshtown Reservoir
- All athletic courts (tennis, basketball, futsal, pickleball courts)
- Athletic fields open for practice
- All Park Restrooms
- Click here for the latest CDC novel coronavirus resources and links.
- Track the COVID-19 globally using this map tracker here.
- You can view the latest Indiana COVID-19 numbers here.
- Track Ohio's coronavirus numbers here.
- Need to get tested? Click here to find a testing site near you.
- You can catch up on the latest ABC21 coronavirus coverage here.
- Sign up here for the latest local, state and national news regarding COVID-19.
- Click here to sign up for ABC21 News and Weather Alerts