WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Donald Trump says he has deemed churches and other houses of worship "essential" and called on governors to allow them to reopen this weekend despite the threat of the coronavirus.
He says: "Today I'm identifying houses of worship - churches, synagogues and mosques -- as essential places that provide essential services."
Trump made the announcement during a hastily-arranged press conference Friday at the White House.
He said if governors don't abide by his request, he will "override" them, though it's unclear what authority he has to do so.
- Click here for the latest CDC novel coronavirus resources and links.
- Track the COVID-19 globally using this map tracker here.
- You can view the latest Indiana COVID-19 numbers here.
- Track Ohio's coronavirus numbers here.
- Need to get tested? Click here to find a testing site near you.
- You can catch up on the latest ABC21 coronavirus coverage here.
- Sign up here for the latest local, state and national news regarding COVID-19.
- Click here to sign up for ABC21 News and Weather Alerts