BOSTON (AP) -- The Boston Marathon has been canceled for the first time in its 124-year history.
Organizers said Thursday that they instead will have a "virtual event" in which participants who verify that they ran 26.2 miles on their own will receive their finisher's medal.
The race had originally been scheduled for April 20 before being postponed for five months because of the coronavirus pandemic.
- Click here for the latest CDC novel coronavirus resources and links.
- Track the COVID-19 globally using this map tracker here.
- You can view the latest Indiana COVID-19 numbers here.
- Track Ohio's coronavirus numbers here.
- Need to get tested? Click here to find a testing site near you.
- You can catch up on the latest ABC21 coronavirus coverage here.
- Sign up here for the latest local, state and national news regarding COVID-19.
- Click here to sign up for ABC21 News and Weather Alerts