FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WPTA21) - A Fort Wayne man is pleading guilty but mentally ill to a 2017 rape and a separate knifepoint kidnapping that happened in 2019.
Attorneys for 59-year-old Ronnie McKinney had questioned whether he was competent to stand trial for rape, battery, sexual battery and being a habitual offender charge.
Three doctors previously filed reports on his competence. One doctor found he was not competent to stand trial, while two others decided he was competent.
Judge David Zent previously ordered the defendant was competent to stand trial, but this week McKinney entered the guilty plea but mentally ill for some charges related to the 2017 case and the 2019 case.
He is due to be sentenced on Aug. 7.
Back in 2019, police responded to a Phill’s One Stop when a panic alarm went off. Shortly afterward, a woman called police whispering, “Send help, he is going to kill me.”
When police arrived at the apartment, they found an open door. They did not find the woman, but the court document states they found a bloody mattress, bloody rags, a knife, a long dog lead, handcuffs, handcuff keys, a cell phone, gloves and a note stating how much Ronnie McKinney was infatuated with a woman.
Police ended up finding the woman running down Goshen Avenue with a puncture wound to her neck. Court documents state she told police that McKinney forced her from the gas station at knife point, puncturing her neck. She was forced into her vehicle and to the apartment.
The documents also state the victim told police that McKinney caught her calling 911. She also said McKinney was going to rape her but became unsure what he was going to do.
The victim was able to get out of the restraints and told police when McKinney took her outside she ran off and didn’t look back.
Police say they found McKinney at Brandy’s strip club and took him into custody where he was preliminarily charged with kidnapping, criminal confinement, battery with a deadly weapon and interfering with the report of a crime.
Ronnie McKinney pleaded guilty in 1990 in Allen County to attempted murder and robbery with serious bodily injury and was sentenced to 40 years in prison.
According to state law at the time, he served 20 years — half his sentence — and was released in 2010.
He was convicted of drunk driving in 2011 and 2012, and has been out of jail since 2013.