(WPTA21) - The Fighting Irish won't be playing Wake Forest this Saturday after seven student-athletes tested positive for COVID-19.
University Physician Dr. Matt Leiszler said 94 tests were administered to Notre Dame Football student-athletes.
Those seven students are now in isolation, and their close contacts are being identified.
After consulting with the the St. Joseph County Department of Health, the Notre Dame Football program decided to pause all football-related activities until further testing is completed.
Combined with last week’s testing results, a total of 13 players are currently in isolation, with 10 in quarantine.
The ACC and Wake Forest have been notified, and the process of rescheduling the game originally slated for Sept. 26 is underway.
“With student-athlete health and safety our primary focus, we will continue to follow our prevention protocols and ongoing testing procedures,” Dick Corbett Head Football Coach Brian Kelly said.
“We knew COVID would present challenges throughout the season, and we’ll always put student-athlete health and safety at the forefront of our decision making. We look forward to resuming team activities and getting back on the playing field.”