(AP) - Pfizer says new test results show its coronavirus vaccine is 95% effective.
The company said Wednesday results also show it appears safe and protects older people most at risk of dying from COVID-19.
It's the final data needed to seek emergency use of limited shot supplies even as the catastrophic outbreak worsens across the globe.
Wednesday's announcement comes just a week after it first revealed promising preliminary results.
Pfizer and BioNTech said they expect to produce up to 50 million vaccine doses globally in 2020 and up to 1.3 billion doses in 2021.
- Click here for the latest CDC novel coronavirus resources and links.
- Track the COVID-19 globally using this map tracker here.
- You can view the latest Indiana COVID-19 numbers here.
- Track Ohio's coronavirus numbers here.
- Need to get tested? Click here to find a testing site near you.
- You can catch up on the latest ABC21 coronavirus coverage here.
- Sign up here for the latest local, state and national news regarding COVID-19.
- Click here to sign up for ABC21 News and Weather Alerts