Skip to Content

Deadline arrives for Komets, other ECHL teams to make season decision

FORT WAYNE KOMETS LOGO JERSEY

UPDATE: The Komets have received an extension and will submit their decision on the upcoming season later in the week.

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WPTA21) - The Fort Wayne Komets will notify the ECHL today about their intentions for the upcoming season.

The league set a Nov. 30 deadline for franchises who will not start play in December to opt in or out of the 2020-21 season.

In October, ECHL officials said they would roll out a split-season format, with 13 teams starting a 72-game slate on Dec. 11.

The remaining teams would be able to opt in for a Jan. 13 start.

The Komets will participate in an afternoon league teleconference, a representative told ABC21 on Monday. He was unable to discuss the team's plans.

Considerations for the franchise include the financial affects of COVID-19 restrictions on attendance at the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum -- something the team alluded to several weeks ago when it decided not to join the organizations that will play next month.

“The Komets cannot start in December based on capacity restrictions for the Coliseum and for the safety of our tremendous fans, staff, players and coaches. We want to make sure that we are doing the right thing when it comes down to having Komets fans in the Jungle,” said Komets President Michael Franke.  

Earlier this month, six teams announced (ahead of the deadline) that they would not play at all this season. They comprise the North Division of the ECHL.

Jonathan Shelley

Jonathan Shelley is the news director at WPTA TV, which he joined in 2016 following nine years in a similar role in New Orleans and previous news management positions in Oklahoma City and Las Vegas.

Skip to content