INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — A larger surge of coronavirus deaths in Indiana during December than was initially reported contributed to an 18% jump in the state’s overall deaths during 2020.
Preliminary totals from the Indiana Department of Health show nearly 77,000 died in the state last year — an increase of almost 11,000 from 2019 — as nationwide deaths also jumped with the global pandemic.
The large increase came as health officials have recorded at least 9,390 COVID-19 deaths during 2020.
Recently revised figures from the state health department boosted the peak of Indiana’s rolling average of COVID-19 deaths to 102 in mid-December, up from the previous high of 86 a day.
- Click here for the latest CDC novel coronavirus resources and links.
- Track the COVID-19 globally using this map tracker here.
- You can view the latest Indiana COVID-19 numbers here.
- Track Ohio's coronavirus numbers here.
- Need to get tested? Click here to find a testing site near you.
- Check out or COVID-19 vaccine resource page here.
- You can catch up on the latest ABC21 coronavirus coverage here.
- Sign up here for the latest local, state and national news regarding COVID-19.
- Click here to sign up for ABC21 News and Weather Alerts