INDIANAPOLIS (WPTA21) - Indiana's Chief Medical Officer says as soon as the state gets a bigger supply of the COVID-19 vaccine, officials will open up the registration to Hoosiers 60 and up.
Health care workers, first responders, long-term care residents, and Hoosiers 65 years and up have been able to sign up to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.
While 735,000 Hoosiers have received the first dose of vaccine, and nearly 260,000 are fully vaccinated, that leaves out a large population of residents.
The state's Chief Medical Officer Dr. Lindsay Weaver said she understands that folks are frustrated they can't yet sign up.
Right now, she said health officials are focusing on giving the shots to those who are most at risk of suffering serious complications or death from the virus.
Up next are Hoosiers ages 60 and up. Dr. Weaver said the state plans to increase eligibility as the state receives more and more vaccine.
This population (Hoosiers 60-65) includes approximately 432,000 people.
Dr. Weaver said it's incredibly important to target this population because this age group accounts for 93 percent of the COVID-19 deaths in Indiana.
When health staffers have vaccinated an appropriate number of people in the 60-65 age group, the state will expand eligibility.
Dr. Weaver said in the following phase of vaccine eligibility, Indiana will give shots to Hoosiers 50 and up, and those with certain comorbidities:
- People with Down Syndrome
- Active dialysis patients
- Post-solid organ transplant recipients
- Sickle cell disease patients
- People who are actively in treatment for cancer now or in the last three months, or with active primary lung cancer or active hematological cancers; lymphoma, leukemia and multiple myeloma
Indiana state health officials estimate 51,000 Hoosiers with these medical conditions will be contacted by their health care provider to arrange a vaccination.
Dr. Box said the state is more than ready to give shots to more and more Hoosiers, but it all comes down to a lack of supply of the vaccine.
To learn more about the COVID-19 vaccine and resources near you, click here.
- Click here for the latest CDC novel coronavirus resources and links.
- Track the COVID-19 globally using this map tracker here.
- You can view the latest Indiana COVID-19 numbers here.
- Track Ohio's coronavirus numbers here.
- Need to get tested? Click here to find a testing site near you.
- Check out or COVID-19 vaccine resource page here.
- You can catch up on the latest ABC21 coronavirus coverage here.
- Sign up here for the latest local, state and national news regarding COVID-19.
- Click here to sign up for ABC21 News and Weather Alerts