INDIANAPOLIS (WPTA21) - Hoosiers ages 16 and up now qualify to get the COVID-19 vaccine in Indiana.
But parents and guardians need to make sure their 16 or 17-year-old teen sign up correctly and receive the correct vaccine.
The FDA has given Emergency Use Authorization for the following age groups:
- Pfizer-BioNTech: ages ≥16 years
- Moderna: ages ≥18 years
- Johnson & Johnson: ages ≥18 years
Following CDC guidance, the Indiana State Department of Health says 16 and 17-year-olds are only eligible to receive the Pfizer vaccine, and they need to search for a clinic that lists the Pfizer vaccine or PVAX.
On the state's signup website, clinics with the Pfizer vaccine will have a yellow logo.21_Teen-vaccine-fact-sheet_3.24
Wednesday's expansion makes more than 5.4 million Indiana residents eligible to get the COVID-19 vaccine.
Folks scheduling appointments may encounter long wait times because of the high number of people trying to sign up.
To schedule a vaccine, visit https://ourshot.in.gov and select a location from one of more than 530 clinics around the state.
Hoosiers who do not have a computer or cell phone or those who need assistance scheduling an appointment can call 211 or contact one of Indiana’s Area Agencies on Aging or AARP. Nearly 70 libraries around the state also are helping Hoosiers schedule their appointments.
Vaccination clinics that are part of the federal vaccine program, including those at Meijer and Kroger, appear on the clinic map at https://ourshot.in.gov but are scheduled through those retailers’ platforms, not through the state centralized system.
You may have better luck getting an earlier appointment by shopping around on retail pharmacy websites.
Here's a short list to get you started:
Click here to register on Meijer's website.
Click here to register on Walgreen's website.
Click here to register on CVS' website.
Click here to register on Kroger's website.
If none of these locations work for you, you can also utilize the CDC's Vaccine Finder resource page.
- Click here for the latest CDC novel coronavirus resources and links.
- Track the COVID-19 globally using this map tracker here.
- You can view the latest Indiana COVID-19 numbers here.
- Track Ohio's coronavirus numbers here.
- Need to get tested? Click here to find a testing site near you.
- Check out or COVID-19 vaccine resource page here.
- You can catch up on the latest ABC21 coronavirus coverage here.
- Sign up here for the latest local, state and national news regarding COVID-19.
- Click here to sign up for ABC21 News and Weather Alerts