FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WPTA21) — Add travel to the activities vaccinated Americans can enjoy again.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention updated its guidance Friday to say fully vaccinated people can travel within the U.S., without getting a COVID-19 test or going into quarantine.
The agency previously cautioned against unnecessary travel even for vaccinated people.
The agency says vaccinated people should still wear a mask and socially distance when traveling.
For international travel, vaccinated people should still get a COVID-19 test before flying to the U.S. and be tested soon after returning.
Abby and Brian Sheehan say they are looking forward to traveling, but they want to still take precautions.
“I would feel safe traveling if I have the vaccine, it’s a step in the right direction," Brian Sheehan said. "It seems like there’s a high efficacy rate so I don’t see why I wouldn’t, I’m not an expert on vaccines but I’ll trust what the CDC says.”
Jasmine Christenson says she's been waiting to travel to visit her grandparents in Florida.
"I have my grandparents in Florida who I haven’t been able to visit because they’re older," Christenson said. "After getting vaccinated I would like to go see them.”
Updated Information for Travelers
- Fully vaccinated travelers are less likely to get and spread COVID-19.
- People who are fully vaccinated with an FDA-authorized vaccine can travel safely within the United States:
- Fully vaccinated travelers do not need to get tested before or after travel unless their destination requires it
- Fully vaccinated travelers do not need to self-quarantine
- Fully vaccinated travelers should still follow CDC’s recommendations for traveling safely including:
- Wear a mask over your nose and mouth
- Stay 6 feet from others and avoid crowds
- Wash your hands often or use hand sanitizer
- Click here for the latest CDC novel coronavirus resources and links.
- Track the COVID-19 globally using this map tracker here.
- You can view the latest Indiana COVID-19 numbers here.
- Track Ohio's coronavirus numbers here.
- Need to get tested? Click here to find a testing site near you.
- Check out or COVID-19 vaccine resource page here.
- You can catch up on the latest ABC21 coronavirus coverage here.
- Sign up here for the latest local, state and national news regarding COVID-19.
- Click here to sign up for ABC21 News and Weather Alerts