HUNTINGTON, Ind. (WPTA21) – The city of Huntington is lifting all capacity limits at restaurants, bars and gyms, but will keep the mask order in place for about eight more weeks.
Mayor Richard Strick signed an amended executive order Tuesday morning.
The revised order removes all venue capacity restrictions within city limits when Huntington County’s advisory level on the state metrics map is blue, yellow or orange.
The change allows local businesses and other entities to immediately resume full operations without delay.
“We’ll continue to do this the way we’ve done it all along here in Huntington,” Mayor Strick said. “We’re all in this together, and we’re going to continue to carry each other across the finish line.”
The mayor said Huntington will enforce capacity restrictions in the event the county returns to a red advisory level, although this is seen as unlikely.
Local public health officials have recommended keeping the face covering requirement in effect until May 31.
Strick said the extended mask requirement will allow more time for those who want to get vaccinated and were newly eligible last week.
It takes about six weeks to achieve immunity after the first dose in the Moderna or Pfizer series and two weeks after the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
The local order requires face coverings within Huntington city limits in indoor public places for all individuals 8 or older, and they are recommended for children ages 2 to 7.
The order will transition to an advisory on May 31, unless community spread of COVID-19 demands a different course of action.
The local policy changes come as Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb lifted statewide capacity limits and mask requirements Tuesday, placing such decisions in the hands of local officials.
Strick said businesses and other entities within city limits can enact their own mask and capacity limits after May 31.
You can read the mayor's order here:Huntington-executive-order-covid-4-6-2021
- Click here for the latest CDC novel coronavirus resources and links.
- Track the COVID-19 globally using this map tracker here.
- You can view the latest Indiana COVID-19 numbers here.
- Track Ohio's coronavirus numbers here.
- Need to get tested? Click here to find a testing site near you.
- Check out or COVID-19 vaccine resource page here.
- You can catch up on the latest ABC21 coronavirus coverage here.
- Sign up here for the latest local, state and national news regarding COVID-19.
- Click here to sign up for ABC21 News and Weather Alerts