HUNTERTOWN, Ind. (WPTA21) - The Huntertown Fire Department is crediting the quick thinking of a young girl that helped save her family, pets and her home from a garage fire Monday morning.
Around 6:20 a.m., Huntertown fire crews responded to a home in the West Autumn addition. They were told there was heavy smoke in the garage and everyone had made it out of the house.
"Thanks to the oldest daughter in the home noticing an odd noise in the garage, the mother was notified of the sound and she checked to see what was going on. When mom opened the door, flames and smoke were found and the door was immediately shut, which helped stop the spread of the fire," the department said in a Facebook post.
Firefighters found a fire in the three-car garage area, and crews were able to knock down the blaze before it spread to the rest of the home.
Firefighters gave two pet Guinea pigs some oxygen, and the animals were said to be back to normal within minutes.
It took crews about 20 minutes to get everything under control.
Several fire departments helped out during the investigation.