FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WPTA21) - A popular outdoor concert series held downtown during the summer has decided to cancel due to COVID-19 concerns.
Rock the Plaza, held outside the main Allen County Public Library, typically draws hundreds of fans to the space each summer.
Despite more and more people stepping up to get the vaccine and updated COVID-19 guidance from the CDC, organizers said it's just not the right time to hold a large-scale event.
“We sought guidance from local health officials, and the recommendations were very clear: appropriate face coverings, social distance, and smaller crowds, even for outdoor events. We do not believe we would be able to enforce those expectations at an event like Rock the Plaza,” Stephanny Smith, Director of Community Engagement said in a statement.
“Throughout the pandemic we have prioritized the health of library staff and community members. While canceling Rock the Plaza is disappointing for everyone involved, we know it is the right thing to do."
Rock the Plaza's cancellation follows Middle Wave's announcement they too would cancel in 2021.
- Click here for the latest CDC novel coronavirus resources and links.
- Track the COVID-19 globally using this map tracker here.
- You can view the latest Indiana COVID-19 numbers here.
- Track Ohio's coronavirus numbers here.
- Need to get tested? Click here to find a testing site near you.
- Check out or COVID-19 vaccine resource page here.
- You can catch up on the latest ABC21 coronavirus coverage here.
- Sign up here for the latest local, state and national news regarding COVID-19.
- Click here to sign up for ABC21 News and Weather Alerts