INDIANAPOLIS (WPTA21) - State health officials are confident that community-led COVID-19 testing networks across the state will allow them to shut down OptumServe Health Services sites by June 30.
During the height of the pandemic, the Indiana State Department of Health teamed up with Optum to provide free testing to Hoosiers.
After 14 months and more than 541,000 COVID-19 tests later, that chapter is coming to a close.
State health officials cited a robust network of pharmacies, providers, clinics and local health departments who can handle the load of testing.
“We are grateful to OptumServe for its work to ensure that Hoosiers had COVID testing available to them while we worked to build more local capacity,” said State Health Commissioner Kris Box.
“Without their work, many Hoosiers who were exposed to COVID or showing symptoms might never have known their status. I have no doubt that having this resource available helped reduce the spread of COVID in our state.”
At its peak, OptumServe provided testing in 53 counties. Currently, 30 counties have an OptumServe testing site.
Throughout 2020 and early 2021, more community-based providers, clinics and pharmacies have been able to offer COVID-19 testing, reducing the need for Optum sites.
In addition, local health departments received state grants in the fall of 2020 to open nearly 100 testing sites.
Box said demand for testing has decreased across the state and noted that free testing will remain available at more than 250 sites after the Optum sites close. You can find a COVID-19 testing site near you by visiting www.coronavirus.in.gov.
“While our case counts have fallen significantly, we must continue to take steps to reduce the spread of disease," Box said. "We remain committed to ensuring that any Hoosier who wants or needs to be tested can receive that testing in a location that’s convenient."
- Click here for the latest CDC novel coronavirus resources and links.
- Track the COVID-19 globally using this map tracker here.
- You can view the latest Indiana COVID-19 numbers here.
- Track Ohio's coronavirus numbers here.
- Need to get tested? Click here to find a testing site near you.
- Check out or COVID-19 vaccine resource page here.
- You can catch up on the latest ABC21 coronavirus coverage here.
- Sign up here for the latest local, state and national news regarding COVID-19.
- Click here to sign up for ABC21 News and Weather Alerts