FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WPTA21) – More than 130,000 Hoosiers will see a big change in their banking this weekend, as their accounts transfer from one company to another.
Flagstar Bank is taking over operations of 33 Indiana Wells Fargo branches in the Fort Wayne and South Bend region. Friday marks the official conversion.
Some Wells Fargo branches in Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin will also move to Flagstar.
As part of the process, all of those banks will close at 3 p.m. Friday and remain closed through the weekend. The branches will reopen on Monday as part of the Flagstar network.
Flagstar Bank was founded in 1983 and is based in Troy, Mich. It’s purchase of the Wells Fargo locations — 52 branches in total — more than doubles the number of customers it will serve.
Flagstar officials said the company has been notifying those affected about the transition. Some things to keep in mind:
- Customers should activate their Flagstar Bank Debit/ATM card as soon as they receive it and begin using their new card Dec. 1. Cards may be activated by calling (844) 368-1838. Be sure to listen to all prompts before entering the requested information. Wells Fargo debit cards will no longer work after Nov. 30.
- Beginning 9 a.m. ET, Monday, Dec. 3, customers can enroll in and begin using Flagstar Online Banking at flagstar.com, or download the new Flagstar Mobile app. Online banking will not be available over the weekend. Please plan accordingly.
- Customers will be able to use their Flagstar Debit card for transactions over the weekend. Transactions made during “conversion weekend” may not immediately appear on account balances when customers log in to online or mobile banking. Updates will be completed by end of day Tuesday, Dec. 4.
- Customers will receive new Flagstar deposit account checks prior to the transition and should begin using them Dec. 1. Initial checks will contain the primary account holder’s name only. Customers will have the option to reorder checks with the names of all account signers.
- ATMs at some bank branch locations will be temporarily unavailable from late in the day Nov. 30 through Dec. 4. However, Flagstar’s extensive network of 56,000 fee-free ATMs via the Allpoint and Presto networks will give customers access to cash over the weekend and beyond. These ATMs are available at most CVS, Walgreens, Target, Kroger, Publix, Safeway and Circle K locations. Visit flagstar.com/locations to find an ATM near you.
Customers can call (888) 248-6423, Monday through Friday, from 7:30 a.m. until 9 p.m. and Saturday 8:30 a.m. until 6 p.m. for assistance. They may also visit flagstar.com/welcomewells for more details.