Court documents provide insight into arrest of Fort Wayne man in connection with mother’s murder

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WPTA21) — A Fort Wayne man has now been preliminarily charged with murder.

Police tell us they arrested 40-year-old Cordell Hughes Tuesday night.

Police confirm Cordell was arrested in connection with the death of his mother, Carmen Hughes. She was found dead inside her South Bridge apartment from multiple stab wounds.

READ MORE: Coroner identifies woman found dead at Fort Wayne apartment

A probable cause affidavit stated Cordell called police to the apartment to meet him because he said he had not heard from his mother in two days and she had not been to work.

When police arrived they found Carmen on a chair in the bedroom with blood on the walls and around her neck.

Cordell had a cast on his arm and told police he had surgery on the 21st. He told police his mother was supposed to be at the hospital with him for this, but did not show up.

Cordell said when he arrived and put his key in the door it was already unlocked. He told police this was unusual because his mother was paranoid and also uses an additional block to the door when she is inside.

The court document states police found no forced entry to the apartment. They also found a note from the victim about her calling in sick on the 20th, two days before she was found dead.

Police spoke with Carmen’s employer and verified that she was at work on the 19th and called in sick to an automated line on the morning of the 20th. She did not, however, call in or arrive at work on the 21st or 22nd.

The document states that Cordell told police he last spoke with his mother on the morning of the 20th and started getting no response from her that evening. He also told police the last time he was at the apartment was two weeks earlier but changed his answer several times throughout the investigation.

On Monday, the court document states Cordell told police the surgery on his hard was for a tendon issue. A medical report stated the tendon was lacerated.

When police asked Cordell how he cut his hand, the court document states he told police he was pushing down on his trash in a trash bin. He did not know what in the trash bin caused the injury completely through his hand.  He said he treated his wound inside his home before going to the emergency room.

We drove by Hughes’ address and saw police activity, with what appeared to be officers taking something out of Hughes’ home.

The court document indicates this was when police served a search warrant. Police say they did not find any evidence of blood or treating a wound.

Police say the time frame for Cordell’s getting the wound fit within the possible time frame for Carmen’s death. They also receive complete medical records that showed the wound went through the top of the hand, completely through the hand and out through the palm. This caused a fracture to the bone.

The court documents state the records show the entry wound was approximately the same length as the stab wounds on Carmen’s body.

You can read the full court document below. NOTE: The document may contain information that some readers may find disturbing. Make sure to stay with ABC21 as we learn more.

Corinne Rose contributed to this report.

Jacob Burbrink

Jacob Burbrink

More News
Connect with ABC 21
Top Stories
Scroll to top
Skip to content