Convicted rapist who abducted teen from bus stop sentenced to 52 years

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WPTA21) – A Fort Wayne man learned his sentence in court Friday after he was convicted of snatching a 15-year-old girl at a bus stop and raping her.

Last month, an Allen County jury convicted 36-year-old William Ray in the sexual assault of a teen girl last year.

In court on Friday, a judge handed him a 52-year sentence for the crime.

William James Ray

According to police, the 15-year-old was abducted from a bus stop at E. Rudisill Blvd. and Smith Street on Thursday, Nov. 29, 2018.

The victim was talking to a friend on her cellphone when the man abducted her. The friend called the girl’s mother and told her that her daughter was in danger.

Officers say the suspect took her to a nearby shed and sexually assaulted her before taking her back to the bus stop.

RELATED: Man charged with kidnapping, rape of teen

Court documents show the girl’s mother dropped her off at the bus stop and left. As a safety measure, the teen always talked on the phone with a friend until she got on the bus.

That friend heard what was happening and called the girl’s mother, who raced to the scene. She told police she saw a man dragging her daughter down the street, so she cornered the man with her car until officers could get there.

Police identified the man as 35-year-old William James Ray, who’s listed as being homeless. Ray was charged with rape, kidnapping, criminal confinement, burglary, and sexual battery.

Kayla Crandall

Kayla Crandall

Kayla Crandall is an Emmy award-winning journalist. She serves as the Social Media and Digital Content Manager at WPTA. Follow her on Twitter @KaylerJayne.
More News
ABC 21 WEATHER AUTHORITY
Bluffton
23°
Warsaw
23°
Wabash
23°
Kendallville
Angola
25°
Paulding
24°
Van Wert
27°
Portland
25°
Marion
24°
Connect with ABC 21
Top Stories
Scroll to top
Skip to content