FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WPTA21) – A judge on Friday granted a request to delay the trial of a Fort Wayne man accused of stabbing his mother at least 20 times, killing her.
In March, the trial for Cordell Hughes was scheduled to take place in August. Now, that trial will not begin until Jan. 6, 2020.
Hughes is accused of killing his 60-year-old mother Carmen Hughes inside her South Bridge apartment in February. The coroner says she was stabbed more than 20 times.
Police say Hughes changed his story several times when interviewed by police and court documents say he tried to use his mother’s debit card at an ATM after her death.
The request to delay came from Hughes’ attorney, who told the Court she needed the time to prepare a proper defense.
Court filings earlier this month show that prosecutors and defense counsel agreed that the discovery process was not complete and that an FBI report related to the proceedings was also not yet finished — noting that “critical evidence in this case” was outstanding.